Thursday, April 29, 2010

Will the Real Cake Bow$s Please Stand Up


I finally watched an episode of Cake Boss the other night. I couldn't have been less impressed. Unless that guys cakes taste like the absolute best thing of all time then, in my opinion he is not that good of a cake maker. For me the cake is all about the icing. When all you do is put three cake layers covered in fondant on top of each other I'm not that impressed. He doesn't even mold them or do anything really that extravagant to them, maybe it was just the episode I saw but I know if I needed a wedding cake I would not buy it from him. Maybe I haven't ever had that good of cake before, but I feel like the difference between the actual cake of the best cake in the world and cake made from a box bought at your local supermarket is not that big. For me icing is what separates the great cakes from the just alright cakes. That is why I call my brother Vinnie the Cake Bow$s, not to be confused with that lame cake boss. While he does still only make his cakes from a box (which I burn him about), the icings that he creates are sublime.

a mad scientist with sugar and butter



The cake he made this past weekend was definitely his best, a hybrid chocolate and banana cake. The banana part had a peanut butter, butter cream frosting in the middle and chocolate buttercream on the outside, while the chocolate part had a vanilla buttercream with some crushed oreos in the middle, and chocolate buttercream with a few oreos covering its outside layer. I should have just eaten cake all weekend for every meal, because these cakes were unbelievable. The crazy thing about these cakes is how moist they stay too, since the he uses a buttercream icing, the cake actually gets more moist with age, and the flavor is always better with each consecutive day of the cakes life (which usually isn't very long).

There are not many desserts I would rather have than these cake creations, and it is all about the icing. To become really legit, Vinnie will have to eventually start making the cakes from scratch, but as long as he keeps creating icing the way he does now, it really doesn't make any difference to me.
The Cake Bow$s, son!





Eat well, Live well

1 comment:

  1. To enjoy the best in massage therapy and embark on a journey to wellness, visit us at 57 West 57th St, Suite 1103. Whether you are in need of relaxation, rejuvenation, or therapy, they are ready to be your trusted partner on your journey to wellness. Sensoskin is committed to not just providing exceptional massage services, but to becoming the cornerstone of your wellness journey. With the best massage therapists, innovative techniques, and a commitment to personal wellness, they are ready to redefine your idea of wellness - one touch at a time. Join them on this journey to a healthy and happy you. https://sensoskinexperts.com/

    ReplyDelete