Monday, September 6, 2010

Mission: Perfect Cake, Part 1


A couple weeks ago I gave myself a mission to make up a recipe for a chocolate cake and yellow cake from scratch, and not just a good recipe, but something that I would want to eat more often than any of the cakes or cupcakes I can get around town. I know I claim to not be much of a baker but I love cakes and cupcakes so much I figure why not be able make an awesome cake myself, and plus baking cakes isn't to crazy and there really isn't a need for any special equipment. My cake theory might need revised a little bit, because while I still think a cake can only be as good as its frosting, the more I eat cakes and cupcakes from different bakeries the more I can tell the difference between the decent cakes, and the cakes you don't want to stop eating. So I did some homework and looked at tons of different cake recipes all over the internet and on different food blogs, and to me most of them were kind of similar. I just wanted to get a basic idea on how to proportion the ingredients for a proper cake. So basically after that I just wrote to recipes out with numbers off the top of my head, one for the chocolate cake, and one for the yellow cake which ended up being a chocolate chip cake, and started baking. The flavor of both of the cakes came out really well, a few minor tweaks and the flavors will be where I want them. The textures and look of the cakes on the other hand weren't quite on the same level. Both cakes certainly wouldn't have won any awards on looks, but I frosted them (the chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream, and the chocolate chip cake with a cinnamon buttercream) both and turned them into at least respectable looking caking, for a first try.


I baked the chocolate cake first, and for some reason decided to use an 8" x 8" (or 9" x 9", I can't remember) pan for some reason, and the cake completely fell in. It was like a meteor landed in the center of the cake and made a giant crater. I looked into why cakes fall in, and there are too many reasons to list, but next time I make this cake it will be in two 8" cake pans, probably bake it at 375 degrees and I won't keep opening the oven to check how its doing. The texture of this one actually seemed pretty good as well, so aside from maybe some minor tweaks in the amount of flour and baking soda, I used, I don't think I'll have to do much with it. The chocolate chip yellow cake on the other hand, I did bake in standard 8" cake pans, but the problem with this one was the texture. It was a little grainy, and didn't have much fluffiness to it. I definitely think the sugar to flour ratio was way to high, because not only was it grainy, but the crust and top was like almost caramelized. Changes for this one next time will be to lower the amount of sugar a little and add a little more flour. I think after I make the tweaks to the recipes I have and bake them each a second time I should have a pretty good idea of where each one stands, and exactly what needs done to make two perfect cakes, hopefully....


Chocolate Cake

1 stick of butter
2 c flour
2 eggs
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c heavy cream
3 Lindt milk chocolate bars

Bake time: 55-60 minutes


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place a bowl over top a pot with boiling water and melt the chocolate and butter together. When it is fully melted set aside and allow to cool.

As the chocolate and butter is cooling mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla.

When the chocolate and butter is cool mix it in with the egg and sugar, and whisk well to fully incorporate. Then add the heavy cream to this, and again whisk well to combine.

Finally add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir well to fully incorporate them together, but be sure not to over mix it, a few lumps never hurt anyone.

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Chocolate Chip Cake
2 8" x 8" cakes
1 stick of butter at room temerature
1 1/2 c flour
2 eggs
1 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 c heavy cream
1 c milk chocolate chips

Bake Time: 55-60 minutes


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.

In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar together. When this mixture lightens up in color add the eggs and vanilla and whisk well again.

Add the heavy cream and stir together to incorporate.

Finally add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir together, don't over mix a few lumps never hurt anyone. Also add the chocolate chips at this stage.

Finally bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.




Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment