Thursday, July 30, 2009

London Bridge is Falling Down



London Tower Bridge
Yesterday Vinnie and I did little more exploring in London. We went to London Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral and London Tower. I thought the bridge pictured above was London Bridge but it is actually London Tower Bridge. London Bridge is really nothing to see at all it is just like any other standard bridge over a river. However from London Bridge we walked to St. Paul's cathedral which was pretty cool. We didn't pay to walk around inside of it, it was like 20 quid to do that so we just looked around the entrance a little bit and started walking over to London Tower. London Tower was actually cool. It isn't much of a tower but what you would think a castle looks like when you think of one. It was originally built in like the 1100's and has been destroyed and rebuilt a few times since then, it is just crazy to think of something being that old and still being around. After that we crossed the tower bridge and then made our way back to Krieger's place.
I had my spaghetti sauce cooking all day and was hoping that it would turn out edible. I was sure if I was using the right kind of sauce because what I bought was called sieved tomato's, not tomato sauce. It looked the same as tomato sauce and smelled pretty similar, but I wasn't positive. I used italian sauce instead of tomato sauce one time and dumped the entire pot down the drain because it was so bad, so I was a little nervous about using something different again. To my surprise it came out much better than expected and could have held up to what I would normally cook in the states. So Vin, Krieger, Joe, Patrick and I had a great dinner and then we had cheesecake for dessert. It was great and they all said they needed a meal like that because a hearty, good quality Italian meal is not easy to come by in the UK, which made me feel good.
After being in London for a little while, it really doesn't feel that much like a foreign city, it feels like an extension of New York City. Sure, there are different names for most things, accents and they drive on the other side of the road, but it just doesn't feel that much different from American cities I have been to. I'm not too sure what a foreign city should feel like, but I don't think London has it. Don't get me wrong, London is a great place but just not as different as I would have expected, which is why it is making me even more excited to travel into Europe. This afternoon Vin and I just went to a travel agency and booked a trip by train to Paris and Venice. We are leaving London Sunday morning for Paris, and staying there Sunday and all day Monday. Then we are leaving Paris Monday night and traveling through the night to Venice and getting there Tuesday morning. We are staying in Venice until Sunday then back to London on Monday. So until Sunday we will be doing some more exploring of London, I'm sure I will keep whoever is reading this updated so stay tuned for more posts, and here are some more pictures from yesterday, enjoy.


Monument for the Great Fire of London 1666 (built 1671-1677)





Some of St. Paul's Cathedral




Inside the cathedral (you weren't allowed cameras but I snuck these)






London Tower and Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment