Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baker I am Not



What better way to spend my day of, I thought, than baking all kinds of delicious treats. I had my final for our renal module in school and the day off Thursday so I deciding I was going to try and make these cookies, these brownies and my standard blondies but with white chocolate chips. My baking adventure started of with me miscounting how many eggs I needed, thinking I only needed 6 when I apparently needed 7, so I had to scratch the blondies off the list. After baking the cookies and the brownies though, I wasn't too disappointed I couldn't make the blondies because baking is way to much work. It's messy, things need to be precise and an electric mixer is not a replacement for a stand mixer!

I read about these cookies from Momfuku Milk Bar in New York City and wished so bad that I could try them. I mean a cookie with chocolate, rice krispy's, chips and pretzels, it sounded like a dream. Since I don't ever bake anything, of course the recipe didn't seem too hard. The recipe did call for creaming the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer, and again, me with my very limited baking knowledge just figured that I could use an electric mixer on a low speed and it would be like the same thing. Haha well the joke was on me because it was not even close. The butter and sugar definitely didn't cream and I had sugary butter particles flying all over my kitchen. I knew it from the second I turned the mixer on that it wasn't going to work, or be the same but I trekked on through the rest of the recipe and came out with a pretty tasty cookie, but certainly not what I expected or what is in the picture of the recipe.

The brownies actually were much easier and tasted really good. If I make them again I would probably add more chocolate to the recipe, and throw some chocolate chips into them or some peanut butter swirls, or both! They have a great, thick texture, not too cakey. I like my brownies thick as brick and heavy and that is just how these brownies turned out, which made me happy.



All in all the results weren't quite what I expected and it was a lot of work and I probably spent as much time cleaning as baking, but it all tasted great, so i guess that's all that matters. It will however be a while until I do baking like this again, I think I'll stick to cooking for the time being.

Who doesn't like a pile of cookies

2 comments:

  1. I think I am the baker of the family, regardless of Vin's thoughts! You can stick to your cooking, and I will make the desserts! Speaking of which, any requests when you come to visit?! I'm getting very excited! Oh, and those cookies sound AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL. Nut hilarious post man. fucking cookies...and i made the spag alla carbanara...turned out great man. Thanks!

    Im gonna e-mail you cause I am maybe thinking about going to Venice in May.

    ReplyDelete