Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fried Goodness



What do I know about Texas Independence Day? Not a damn thing, but it is definitely a good excuse to try chicken fried steak for the first time. According to The Homesick Texan (a pretty good blog about all foods Texas), March 2 is Texas independence day, and the unofficial state food of Texas is chicken fried steak. Now I've never been to Texas or tried chicken fried steak before, and have only seen it on restaurant menu's like Denny's and Cracker Barrel. I would look at on the menu and think it had to be good, since steak is awesome and anything fried is awesome, so how couldn't chicken fried steak be awesome.

mmmmm........

However I was never brave enough to try it, probably because I remembered I was at Denny's or Cracker Barrel. In my own kitchen though I had to give it a try, and it was unbelievable! What better way to turn a cheap piece of steak into an amazing meal, than beating it with a tenderizing hammer, coating it with flour, frying it then covering it in gravy?

That's not chicken inside of that fried shell of tastiness

The answer is there isn't one, because chicken fried steak is amazing, I wish I have been to Texas so I could have know how great it really is, and while it might not be something I will eat all the time (it is fried steak, I'm only fat at heart), I will certainly be looking forward to the next time I do. If you haven't celebrated Texas Independence Day yet (why would you have unless you're from Texas?!), do so with this recipe, courtesy of The Homesick Texan, and you will not be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment