Friday, April 16, 2010

Cooking with a Friend


My best friend Joe, is on a little bit of a cooking kick and I couldn't be happier to do a little bit of cooking with him. Over the past two weeks or so we made steamed dumplings and crab rangoon. We are always getting chinese takeout and our two favorite sides are definitely dumplings and rangoon, there isn't a time we get chinese and do not have them along side whatever other meal we make.




My experience with cooking chinese dishes is that it never seems to come very close to how it does from a takeout place. So we were both excited to find out how each of our side dishes would turn out. The dumplings were alright, too much ginger for sure and they definitely weren't seasoned properly. We did however make the dough for them as well and that turned out really good. The dumplings weren't bad but they were just kind of bland and overly gingery (I have come to the conclusion that I am not a big fan of ginger).





The crab rangoon on the other hand came out amazing. It was as good if not better than any rangoon that I've had from our go to takeout locations. The best part about it was that it was so easy to make and not much work either. We used store bought wonton wrappers, which for some reason are kept in the produce section of the grocery store (which doesn't make any sense to me), they also had egg roll wrappers which may need to be the next chinese staple we take on.



All in all it was a great time cooking with someone else especially my best friend. Typically I cook by myself for myself and my brother, but it definitely is a good time cooking with somebody else. I can't remember the dumpling recipe but it wasn't very good so it doesn't really even need posted. Here is the crab rangoon recipe, and it was really good, give it a try.

Crab Rangoon
30-40 pieces
1 package of wonton wrappers
8-12 oz cream cheese, softened
2 green onions sliced thin
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
1 package of the cheep crab meat in the shrink wrapped package, minced
2-3 teaspoons soy sauce
1 bottle of vegetable or any oil of your choosing for frying




Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. Place about a teaspoon in the center of a wonton wrap and pinch the corners together. Set aside, assemble all the crab rangoons and fry until golden brown.






Eat well, Live well

1 comment: