Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kitchen Disaster: Foodapalooza Update



Wednesday went from excitement for mexican to complete disappointment. I love mexican food and think that I'm able to cook it pretty well, but what happened the other day definitely made me think differently. I planned on having chicken enchiladas with a tomatillo salsa.


Both components tasted awful, I couldn't even finish the meal. For me dinner is the part of the day I look forward to the most. I am at school and study all day so being able to finish the day off with a tasty home-cooked meal makes me feel good, and is really something I look forward to every day. What happened Wednesday was a major disappointment and left me depressed until dinner the next day, it was hard to fall asleep that night thinking about how bad it was, plus being hungry was a constant reminder of an unsatisfying meal. I was definitely longing for a meal like what I had the week before while visiting my sister in Boston.



We went to a restaurant called The Chart House, which was absolutely unbelievable. I had a surf and turf that consisted of prime rib, shrimp scampi, and a side of lump crab meat and garlic mashed potatoes with chocolate molten lava cake for dessert. It was so good, the awfulness of what I created had me longing for a meal as complete as that one. Everything was cooked to perfection and tasted absolutely great, I will never go to Boston again without going to the Chart House and would recommend that if your in Boston do not miss out on this superb restaurant.

The cupcake I bought for dessert on Thursday to make up for the mess on wednesday, a maple cupcake with as much frosting on it as cake (the way I like it), with a fresh maple syrup drizzle, also helped to get me out of my awful dinner funk. I guess it isn't a complete loss when a bad meal is made, it does help to give me perspective and let me know that cooking is a learning process, and the only way to get better is keep trying and cooking even if what you make isn't very good. I love to do it so I won't let it bring me down too much.
Plus this weekend might as well be called Foodapolooza 2010. When my brother and I stay in Kent for the weekend each day is usually completed with a gluttonous meal, and we kind of have a few go to meals that we consider our "weekend meals". Friday is either beef stroganoff or spaghetti carbonara, Saturday is either chicken francais or the best fried chicken sandwich ever and Sunday is always linguine with chicken parm and sometimes fried cheese. Plus my brother will cook an over the top cake that we usually finish by ourselves over the weekend.
We figured there weren't going to be to many more opportunities to have weekends like this at our place up here since we have been going home most every weekend now, and we are moving out and back home at the end of May. The stroganoff last night was as good as I've ever made it and tonight we decided on the chicken sandwiches which should be as good, and if there is one thing I can count on it is that my spaghetti is always great, so there are no worries there. As for the dessert my brother is actually making two cakes a chocolate cookies and cream and a banana cake, so I might just have to eat a whole cake myself. Overall, what happened wednesday was certainly disappointing but what has followed, and memories of unreal meals past got me through it. Partake in Foodapolooza yourself, but don't be mad at me if you wake up with a couple extra pounds Monday morning.

Update:
The gluttonous weekend of Foodapalooza was quite the success, full stomachs, greasy cheeks and sugar comas. The chicken sandwiches were as great as expected and pose a few questions when compared to francais. The chicken parm and spaghetti also could not be beat. The sauce I made this time may just have been the best I've made yet which is exciting, considering I made enough to freeze for at least the next month. As for the cake, it was unreal, and easily the best my brother has made...the Cake Bowss is back! The cake will get its own post soon, in the mean time enjoy some pictures from Foodapalooza '10.








Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment