Monday, September 27, 2010

Mission: Perfect Cake, Part 2


Sorry for no post last week (to anybody that actually reads this), I had a really busy week in school, one test in my law class and two finals in my pulmonary therapeutics module. So even though I didn't have anytime to write about food, I always find the time to cook it, or bake in the case of my cake mission. This time I went for a second attempt on the yellow chocolate chip cake. I tweaked the amount of sugar, flour and heavy cream this time around and these edits made a world of difference. The texture still isn't quite where I want it, which would be a good combination of density and fluffiness, but I definitely am heading in the right direction. When I got done icing this thing, see for yourself, it could have been mistaken for something from a professional bake shop. This cake tasted unbelievable and was the talk of the cook out I brought it to. I think in two or three more attempts at this one and it might be just where I want it to be. Good icing doesn't hurt to help a cake out either. For this attempt I used cinnamon buttercream on the outside and vanilla buttercream in the middle layer. I know I don't post recipes for the icings I use, and that's only because I don't use a recipe to make them because I don't think a recipe is needed. Just take soft room temperature butter, powdered sugar, a little milk or cream, and whatever other flavors you want to add to it, mix them together and just keep adding a little bit more at a time of each ingredient until it tastes the way you want it and it's texture is the way you want it. The first cake recipes I posted, hopefully you didn't try, but I definitely recommend going at this one, it's not the perfect cake yet but it's pretty damn good.



Chocolate Chip Yellow Cake
2 8" or 9" round cakes
1 stick of butter, room temperature
2 c flour
2 eggs
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 c heavy cream (start with 1 c and if the batter seems too thick and the extra 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars until, the color lightens and its smooth.

Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until combined with the creamed sugar and butter. Then add 1 cup of the heavy cream, and again mix until everything is well combined.

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate. Try not to over mix, I learned that this can be one of the causes for a cake to fall in. If the batter seems to thick add the extra 1/4 cup of heavy.

Separate evenly into the two cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool then frost anyway you seem fit.






Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment