Monday, September 13, 2010

A Mrs. Collier Quesadilla


If in need of a quick meal, this is definitely one way to go. I just recently started eating avocados and quickly fell in love. They are so versatile, they can be added, or have things added to them, be turned into a side, or even used as a main, like with this quesadilla. I think it took me so long to start eating this odd fruit because when I was in 7th grade I did a book report on a book titled, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death (an enjoyable read from what I remember). As part of my presentation on the book my teacher, Mrs. Collier (who always told stories about her journeys around the world, she even claimed to have met the Dalai Lama)had me bring in an avocado. She apparently loved them, and I had never tasted one before so I was excited to give it a try. She apparently liked to eat them with a sprinkling of salt (for some reason she kept a salt shaker in her desk), I tried it for myself and hated it, I think I had to spit it out. So ever since then, up until about a year ago, I never ate one again and definitely never touch guacamole, but every time I came across one I though of that book and Mrs. Collier. This quesadilla is an ode to her since it's main component is avocado. Topped with a little bit of cheese and caramelized onions (or whatever else you may want, I'm thinking bacon the next time I make it), this is a tasty, quick and easy lunch, or dinner option. Give this a try next time your in the mood for some Mexican, and maybe try and find an out of print version of The Snarkout Boys.


Mrs. Collier Quesadilla
3-4 quesadillas
3-4 tortillas
1 avocado
1 lime
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 caramelized onion
1/2-1 tsp salt


Slice the avocado in half, take the seed out, take it out of it's skin, and place in a mixing bowl.

Combine the avocado with the garlic, juice from 1/2 of the lime, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Mash it all together, taste and see if more lime juice or salt needs added. (The lime juice is not only for flavor, but also it keeps the avocado from turning brown, so be sure not to cut open the avocado until your ready to mix it with the lime juice)

Put a pile of the avocado on half of the tortilla, spread it out to coat the tortilla evenly, then add a sprinkle of cheese and some onions. Fold the tortilla over and place the tortilla on a medium-high heated grill.

Allow the tortilla to crisp up and get nice grill marks, then flip it to the other side and do the same thing, about 3-4 minutes per side. Finally take it off the grill, cut in to wedges and enjoy.




Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment