Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Ravioli


I eat spaghetti at least three times a week. I cook a huge pot of sauce about once a month and freeze it in daily portions, which I use about two times a week. My mom also usually makes a fresh pot once a week. Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays are spaghetti days. The thing about it is I can eat spaghetti every day, easily, and I probably wouldn't mind it more than once a day either. I love spaghetti. A lot of weeks however, three times just isn't enough, and more spaghetti days are added. They don't always have to be with red sauce, and this was one of those days. I love ravioli, but I don't feel like I eat enough. I've been thinking about this combination inside a ravioli for a while, and finally gave it a try. It actually turned out really well, especially with the sauce I used for it, but now that I think about it, I'm sure it would be just as good with my standard red sauce as well. Since I don't have the time during the week to whip up my own pasta dough (though it would be nice), I used store bought wonton wrappers for the ravioli, and while they worked just fine and tasted good, they were definitely the weakest part. The main problem I think with them is they are too thin. When I eat ravioli I like it to be kind of doughy. All in all though, this was a recipe I was excited to eat, it ended up tasting great, and using the wonton wrappers actually makes it quite fast and easy to prepare as well. I thought it was one of the better meals I've made in a while, give it a try yourself, and if you do let me know what you think.


Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Ravioli
20-25 raviolis
1 package of wonton wrappers (oddly found in the produce section of a grocery store, near the baby carrots and things like that, I had to ask someone where they were to find them)

Filling:
1 package of assorted mushrooms, diced; I used a mix of cremini, shitake and oyster mushrooms, and I'm pretty sure it was like 5 oz.
1 medium red onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Sauce:
2 shallots, slice thin
1/2 c red wine
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp sour cream
1 c beef stock
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper


On medium heat saute the dice onions until they begin to brown and caramelized, at least 30 minutes.

When the onions begin to brown and caramelize, add the mushrooms and saute until they soften and brown up as well, about another 10 minutes.


When both the onions and mushrooms are done cooking, set aside and allow to cool.

Fill a pot up with water and bring it to a boil.

As the water is coming up to a boil prepare your ravioli, and make the sauce.

Using one wrapper place about a teaspoon of the mushroom/onion mixture in the center of the wonton wrap.


Dip a finger into a cup of water and spread it around the edge of the wrapper. Then fold the wrapper over the feeling, press down the edges and make sure the ravioli is sealed completely.


Repeat this process until all of the filling is used up and you made all of your raviolis.


For the sauce, in a bowl combine the dijon, sour cream and beef stock and mix to combine.

Meanwhile over medium heat add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan crisp up and caramelize the shallots . After about 5-10 minutes the shallots should be caramelized, add the red wine to the pan and allow to reduce until it is almost fully evaporated, another 5-10 minutes.

Finally stir in the sauce mixture that you combined in a bowl, and reduce until it starts to thicken up and isn't so watery, stirring every so often, about another 5-10 minutes.

When you start to reduce the sauce add the ravioli to the boiling water. They should only take about 2-3 minutes, and you'll know they're done when they start floating to the top. Drain and top with the sauce, enjoy.





Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment