Sunday, October 24, 2010

French Onion Soup

I couldn't imagine living somewhere that didn't have fall. I really grew a real disdain for the heat of summer this year, I mean I really don't understand how people can like it when you are constantly either sweating or on the verge of breaking sweat. I think I never really appreciated how much I don't like the heat of summer because I always worked as a landscaper in the summer. Since I was always doing awful manual labor through the heat of summer, it was hot and sweaty to me no matter what. This was the first summer in like four or five years that I didn't landscape, and by the end I barely even wanted to go outside because I was so over the heat. Fall is the best because to me, there is nothing better than a day in the mid 50's with gray clouds, toss on a cardigan or nice fall jacket, watch football all day, or take in how great the scenery is with the changing colors of the leaves. Then of course the flavors and foods we get to start eating again. With fall it means it's time to bust out the soups, stews and chili recipes. We had a string of cool days recently so it put me in the mood for a soup. This was really my first attempt at a soup so I figured I'd give myself what I thought would be an easy one to start off with, french onion. I caramelize onions for meals I eat almost every day, and since that is almost all french onion soup is, this was a pretty easy one to make up. Of course, I didn't make my own stock or anything that involved, but does any home cook actually do that besides Ina Garten? If it's cool and crisp where you are and your in the mood for an easy soup recipe, give this one a try and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.
*For the garlic croutons I just thickly sliced up a loaf of fresh bread, cut a piece of garlic in half and rubbed each side of the slices of bread. Then I drizzled them with a littleolive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper, parsley, oregano, basil and parmesan cheese. I baked them for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees to crisp them up. Then I placed them on top of my bowl of soup, blanketed it with some swiss cheese and baked it again until the cheese was melty. (Then I enjoyed)


French Onion Soup

5-6 medium sweet onions, sliced thin
2-3 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
1 quart box of veal stock (I would imagine beef or vegetable could also be used)
3 c water, plus more for caramelizing the onions
1/2 c red wine
2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp granulated sugar
salt and pepper



Bring a large pot up to medium high heat, add a a few drops of olive oil and crisp up the bacon. When the bacon is done take it out of the pot and add the sliced onions. (Don't drain the fat the bacon leaves behind, use it to caramelize the onions, to not only give the soup a richer flavor, but also make it healthier since you the only fat used in this soup is from the bacon.)

After the bacon is finished cooking, add the onions and sugar into the pot, and season them with some salt and pepper. Stir only every once in a while so they have a chance to really get good and caramelized. After about a 45 minutes to an hour of them caramelizing in only the bacon grease (and stirring them only a couple times), add about 1/2-3/4 of a cup of water at a time and let the onions cook until the fluid is evaporated. Do this at least 2-3 times and it while caramelize the onions further, without risk of burning them.


After you're happy with how caramelized the onions are add the stock, water, sherry and red wine to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for another 1-2 hours stirring occasionally. Give it a few tastes every once in a while to check seasoning.

To serve make the garlic croutons as stated above, place on top of the soup cover with a layer of swiss, or similar cheese, and bake in an oven at 425 degrees until the cheese is melty and starting to brown.





Eat well, Live well

2 comments:

  1. DELISH! I just made some this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to authenticity, Nolita Restaurant wears its Middle Eastern heritage with pride. The dishes here aren't just delicious; they are authentic representations of the flavors that have captivated palates for generations. With every bite, it's as if you're transported to the bustling markets and bustling kitchens of Israel, experiencing the culinary traditions firsthand.

    ReplyDelete