Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top Movies of the 00's



So I saw this list Richard Roeper made of his top 100 movies of the post decade.

Not a bad overall list but I definitely have some problems with it, especially the top ten. If you know me then you would know I am into the whole kung-fu/martial arts genre of movies. I've seen both Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers more than once, while I do really enjoy them and think they are good movies, putting both in your top ten of the whole decade is kind of crazy.
Slum Dog is also a really good movie but to put it in the top ten of the decade is also quite a stretch. Then to compare it to the Usual Suspects is just strange, where does he even get that comparison from. I haven't seen the Usual Suspects in a while but from what I remember it doesn't really have much in common with this movie.
Definitely the craziest movie in this top ten is his number one choice, The Departed. Yes, it was a good movie, but I'm not so sure I would call it really good, and it certainly is not great. Don't get me wrong it is a very enjoyable movie, when I walked out of the movie theatre after seeing it I thought I just saw a good movie, but certainly not the best of the decade. It was somewhat predictable, it's basically a standard cop movie with a couple twists. Also, to call the cast of this movie, the greatest ensamble cast since the Godfather is maybe one of the most ridiculous claims ever. Leo is a great actor and is always good as well as Matt Damon. It seems all of a sudden people think Alec Baldwin is some kind of great actor, do people remember that he is a Baldwin brother. That is a family of bad actors, except Stephen's performance in Bio-dome. How many of them are there? How do you tell them apart? Why do they all look the same? They're not even twins!...maybe. Just because he is good in 30 Rock does not make him a good actor. I don't like ripping on Jack but he was good but I think he's lost a little bit as of late. And, maybe my view is a bit tainted but if youu've ever seen I <3>
It was nice to see Memento in the top five, I couldn't disagree if it was number one, because that is an amazing movie. He does do well describing this film, because the first time you see it you're just completely blown away and confused all at once. Then you watch it again and you're still just as blown away but not as confused. If you haven't seen this movie drop what you're doing and go buy or rent it and watch it.
As for the rest of the list, I don't see how a Wes Anderson film didn't make it into the top 100. The Royal Tennembaum's and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou are definitely two of my favorite movies of this decade and of all time. Also if he's going to include comedies in this list how did Anchorman or Old School not make it, definitely two of the best comedies of the decade. Probably the biggest omition of the entire list is not even including The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert (Brad Pitt had in his contract he would not do this movie if they shortened or changed the title, I know you were wondering why it was so long). When I'm asked my favorite movie of all time that is my answer. I can't describe exactly what it is about it that I like so much, there is just a feeling to the movie that I relate to. I mean the story is great, the acting is spot on and it is the most satisfying ending to a movie I've ever seen, but the feeling of it is what I really like. After you're done with Memento, watch this movie you will not be disapointed.
So I'm certainly not making a whole list of 100 but if I was going to make a quick top eleven in no particular order it would be:
1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2. Gangs of New York
3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (in my book they should be considered as one movie)
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
5. Lost in Translation
6. Vicky, Christina Barcelona
7. Memento
8. Signs
9. Blow
10. V for Vendetta
11. Catch Me if you Can

1 comment:

  1. John-
    The Life Aquatic is one of my favorite movies ever, as is TAOFJJ by the Coward Robert Ford." Great taste in movies, bro.

    ReplyDelete