Friday, February 19, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore over Garlic and Basil Purple rice



I was wondering what I should have for dinner the other day, and was looking through the cupboards, fridge and freezer to see if I could get any help. I found some chicken thighs, garlic, mushrooms and rice, now typically that would mean a chinese style meal but I felt like I should mix it up, try something new. So I picked up an onion, green bell pepper and a can of tomato sauce, and figured I would try making chicken cacciatore, and instead of having it over noodles I would mix it up with some rice. The cacciatore was pretty good, but could still use some work. I definitely reduced the sauce a little to much, and I used a smaller can of tomato sauce than what I have written in the recipe. I am also thinking I might want to add some chicken stock to it as well, to thin it out a bit. However the rice was surprisingly good. It had a ton of flavor packed in to it, I can't wait to have it again. If you're in the mood for a tasty Italian meal give this one a try. Enjoy.



Chicken Cacciatore
serves 2-3
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 sweet onion, chopped thin
1 bell peppper, color of your choosing, chopped in thin strips
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 c red wine
1 28 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 c mushrooms
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper

Heat a frying pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil in it to medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown it on both sides, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Then take it off the heat and set aside. Add the onions, peppers and mushrooms and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until softened. Add in the garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant, but be careful it doesn't burn. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and allow to reduce until it is almost gone. Then add the can of tomato sauce, simmer and season with salt and pepper until it is to your desired thickness. After you add the tomato sauce to the pan cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add it to the pan. It will finish cooking in the simmering sauce.

Garlic and Basil Purple Rice
serves 1
1/2 c white rice
1/4 c red wine
3/4 c chicken brother (or water)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil

Rice is very easy to cook, especially for me since I have a rice steamer. If you do not have a steamer then you typically cook the rice at a 2:1 ratio, 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Put the liquid into a adequately sized pot and bring to a boil, add the rice, garlic and basil, and cook for about twenty minutes, or until the liquid is all absorbed. When it is done cooking fluff with a fork and set aside or serve.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Nut. LOST was good as you said as well. Have a great weekend my dude.

    ReplyDelete