Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Beginners Grilling


For me summer is officially here. This is my first full week with no school, and no responsibilities. I applied for some internships, interviewed for one and got none. To say I'm not that disappointed might be an understatement, this being my last summer break ever, I think I deserve some time to bum around and do whatever. I don't have anything specific planned, but I would imagine I will spend some time in New York City (Lis if you're reading I'd like to put my name on your couch), at least one trip to Boston and the Chart House to hand with my sister (in a perfect world I would just spend like a month going back and forth between NYC and Boston), and if all goes well another trip to the Junction and maybe a place or two in Europe, and finally eating and cooking as many good things as I can through all of that.
To start it all off I figured I needed to fire up the grill and work on my skills. Of course I already had my onions chopped and potatoes boiling and find out we are out of propane. It only ended up being a minor snag though, I just had to replace the tank which ended up being a lot easier than I thought. I did that and I was well on my way. The menu consisted of a grilled potato salad, grilled corn and barbecued boneless chicken thighs. It all turned out really well, and although I wasn't so sure the corn would be that great this early in the season, it ended up being really good and sweet like it was already July or August.


Grilled Potato Salad
Serves 4-6
6 small potatoes
3 small sweet onions
1/4 cup swiss cheese diced
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp corn syrup
2/3 c red wine vinegar
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more depending on how spicy you want it)
1 tsp garlic powder
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Slice potatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds and cover in a pot with cool water. Season water with plenty of salt, cover and bring to a boil. Cook until just fork tender, about halfway between raw and how you would want them if you were making mashed potatoes. Drain and allow to dry.

While the potatoes are boiling slice the onions into bite size pieces. Place in a grill safe pan, or make a tray out of tin foil and add the olive and season with salt and pepper. Set the grill at medium-medium high heat and caramelize the onions, 20-30 minutes.

When the potatoes are dry toss in a bowl with olive oil and salt and pepper. Brush the grill with olive oil or spray with non-stick spray, and place the potatoes on the grill. Cook the potatoes about 7-10 minutes per side or until they start to get crispy on the outside.

When the onions and potatoes are finished cooking take off the grill and set aside to cool. In a bowl combine the mayo, dijon, cheese, cayenne, garlic powder, and vinegar then toss with the potatoes and onions, can be served room temperature or cooled in the fridge.


Grilled Corn
servings 4
4 pieces of corn on the cob with the husk on
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Clean the corn, get all the hairy bits off but keep the husks on. Rub olive oil, salt and pepper and place on the higher rack of a grill on medium high heat. Cook for about 20 minutes rotating every once in a while.


Sweet and Spicy Barbecued Chicken
Serves 3
6 boneless chicken thighs
1/3 c brown suger
1/3 c red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and marinate chicken for 20-30 minutes. Bring grill up to medium high heat and place chicken on the grill. Cook for about 20 minutes being careful the chicken doesn't burn, with the sugar in the marinade the chicken could burn easily, so just keep an eye on it and flip every 5 minutes or so.

***Tip*** Instead of making all this at once I made the potato salad earlier in the day, I would imagine it could even be done a day in advance, then I cooked the corn and the chicken at the same time, both were finished at the same time, I also had biscuits baking as the chicken and corn was cooking, but they were just the Pillsbury kind out of a can. I would also think this marinade would be good on a nice pork chop, too.




Eat well, Live well

1 comment:

  1. That potato salad sounds like it is awesome. I've never heard of grilled potato salad? I would do about anything for something/anything from a grill - and not from my microwave!

    Can't wait for your trip to Boston!!! Although I must say, I'm thinking your June 14th meal may rival a trip to the Chart House!!!

    ReplyDelete