Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Pork Chops


For someone who a couple years ago would have avoided pork, and especially pork chops at all costs, I am really starting to gain a love for it, and I think it might be starting to rival my love for beef. These pork chops I made a little differently than the last time, I let them hang out in a marinade instead of a brine, and I played around with a mix of sweet and spicy flavors. I made them for myself and my dad and we both thought they were really great, he was even talking about them a week later at my grandpa's birthday party (which lets me know he definitely liked them a lot because if I served him shoe leather he would probably eat it and not say much, his motto is that he eats to live, he doesn't live to eat). The only thing I would change with this recipe next time would be to make it spicier, while I did marinate the pork chops with long, hot chili peppers I thought they weren't as spicy as I wanted, so next time I'll add some cayenne or hot sauce to the marinade as well.

I served the pork chops with stuffed jalapenos with mascarpone and bacon, I was watching the Today show earlier the morning that I made this meal and I saw Martha Stewart make stuffed jalapeno peppers with cream cheese, so I sort of upgraded her recipe with bacon and some of the left over mascarpone from the breakfast I made a few weeks back. These came out really well and were a great compliment to the pork chops, and sort of made up for the lack of spiciness I thought I was going to get from the pork chops. Both the pork chops and the jalapenos are super easy and really tasty if your looking for a good summer meal two dishes would be a good place to start.




Sweet and Spicy Pork Chops
2 pork chops
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 2 limes
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 hot peppers chopped (any kind would be good it just depends on how spicy you want it)
2 tbs. honey
2 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper


Marinate the pork chops for at least a couple hours. When ready to grill the pork chops, bring the grill to medium high heat.


Grill the pork chops 5-6 minutes per side flipping only once to be sure to attain nice grill marks. When the pork chops are done cooking take them off the grill and allow them to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.


Bacon and Mascarpone Stuffed Jalapenos
makes 8 jalapeno halves
4 jalapeno peppers, halved with seeds and ribs removed
1/3 cup mascarpone
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
shredded cheese (I used mozzarella because I had it on hand and it was good, but again any cheese would work)
salt and pepper to taste

Bring an oven up to 400 degrees.

Mix the mascarpone and bacon together in a small bowl.

Fill each halved jalapeno with the mascarpone and bacon mixture. Top with a pinch of shredded cheese.

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted on top and the pepper starts to soften a little bit.




Eat well, Live well

No comments:

Post a Comment